Hockey has inspired countless songs over the years, from rock anthems to classical compositions. The game’s intensity, passion, and drama have been captured in music, creating a unique connection between fans and players.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the 21 best songs about hockey, each with a brief description of the album, artist, style, and our personal feelings about it.
Table of Contents
- 21. “The Hockey Song” by Stompin’ Tom Connors
- 20. “Gretzky Rocks” by The Pursuit of Happiness
- 19. “Hit Somebody! (The Hockey Song)” by Warren Zevon
- 18. “Hockey Night in Canada Theme”
- 17. “Boys on the Bus” by The Odds
- 16. “The Good Old Hockey Game” by The Ventures
- 15. “Fifty Mission Cap” by The Tragically Hip
- 14. “The Zamboni Song” by Gear Daddies
- 13. “Big League” by Tom Cochrane & Red Rider
- 12. “I’m a Puck” by The Zambonis
- 11. “The Boys Are Back” by Dropkick Murphys
- 10. “The Enforcer” by Monster Truck
- 9. “I Am the One and Only” by Chesney Hawkes
- 8. “O Canada” by Calixa Lavallée (1880)
- 7. “Blood on the Ice” by Anvil (1982)
- 6. “Hockey Monkey” by The Zambonis (1999)
- 5. “Hockey, the Greatest Game in the Land”
- 4. “Let’s Go” by Trick Daddy feat. Lil Jon & Twista
- 3. “The Last Saskatchewan Pirate” by The Arrogant Worms (1995)
- 2. “Gloria” by Laura Branigan (1982)
- 1. “Chelsea Dagger” by The Fratellis (2006)
21. “The Hockey Song” by Stompin’ Tom Connors
Album: My Stompin’ Grounds (1971)
As a Canadian classic, “The Hockey Song” has become a staple of hockey games and arenas worldwide. With its catchy chorus and upbeat melody, it’s a staple at hockey games and a must-listen for any fan of the sport. It’s impossible not to sing along with it.
20. “Gretzky Rocks” by The Pursuit of Happiness
Album: Love Junk (1988)
As one of the greatest hockey players in history, Wayne Gretzky deserves a rock anthem. “Gretzky Rocks” is a fun and catchy tune that pays homage to the Great One.
19. “Hit Somebody! (The Hockey Song)” by Warren Zevon
Album: My Ride’s Here (2002)
Written by Warren Zevon and Mitch Albom, “Hit Somebody!” tells the story of a player who dreams of scoring goals but ends up becoming a fighter. It’s a powerful and emotional tribute to the role of enforcers in hockey.
18. “Hockey Night in Canada Theme”
Songwriter: Dolores Claman
The iconic “Hockey Night in Canada” theme is instantly recognizable to any hockey fan. Written by Dolores Claman, it has been the opening theme for Hockey Night in Canada since 1968.
17. “Boys on the Bus” by The Odds
Album: Neopolitan (1991)
“Boys on the Bus” is a catchy and upbeat rock song that celebrates the camaraderie of a hockey team on the road. It’s a fun and nostalgic tune that will bring back memories of road trips and team bonding.
16. “The Good Old Hockey Game” by The Ventures
Album: Play Telstar and the Lonely Bull (1963)
“The Good Old Hockey Game” is a classic Canadian hockey song that celebrates the joys of playing the game. With its upbeat tune and catchy lyrics, it’s a fun and uplifting tune that will get any fan in the mood for the game.
15. “Fifty Mission Cap” by The Tragically Hip
Album: Fully Completely (1992)
“Fifty Mission Cap” tells the story of Bill Barilko, a hockey player who disappeared after scoring the winning goal in the 1951 Stanley Cup finals. It’s a haunting and emotional tribute to one of hockey’s greatest mysteries.
14. “The Zamboni Song” by Gear Daddies
Album: Billy’s Live Bait (1989)
“The Zamboni Song” is a fun and catchy tune that celebrates the unsung hero of every hockey rink – the Zamboni driver. With its upbeat tempo and clever lyrics, it’s a great song to sing along to during intermission.
13. “Big League” by Tom Cochrane & Red Rider
Album: Victory Day (1988)
“Big League” tells the tragic story of a young hockey player who dies before he can fulfill his dreams of playing in the NHL. It’s a heart-wrenching song that celebrates the spirit of young athletes who strive to achieve greatness.
12. “I’m a Puck” by The Zambonis
Album: Five Minute Major
Its upbeat melody captures the excitement and energy of the game, and the song had its listeners smiling from ear to ear!
11. “The Boys Are Back” by Dropkick Murphys
Album: Signed and Sealed in Blood
This Celtic punk anthem is a tribute to the Boston Bruins and their fans. With its driving beat and infectious chorus, it’s a high-energy tune that captures the spirit and passion of the game.
10. “The Enforcer” by Monster Truck
Album: Sittin’ Heavy
“The Enforcer” is a hard-rocking tribute to hockey’s tough guys. With its heavy riffs and pounding drums, it’s a song that will get you pumped up for any game.
9. “I Am the One and Only” by Chesney Hawkes
Album: Buddy’s Song
While not specifically about hockey, this ’80s classic has become synonymous with the sport in recent years. Its upbeat, optimistic message and catchy chorus make it a fan favorite at arenas across North America.
8. “O Canada” by Calixa Lavallée (1880)
The Canadian national anthem that is played before every hockey game in Canada. It’s a stirring anthem that celebrates the country and the sport of hockey.
7. “Blood on the Ice” by Anvil (1982)
Album: Pound for Pound
A heavy metal song about the violence and aggression of hockey. It’s a hard-hitting tune that captures the brutality of the sport.
6. “Hockey Monkey” by The Zambonis (1999)
Album: More Songs About Hockey
A humorous song about a monkey who loves to play hockey. It’s a silly tune that captures the fun and joy of the game.
5. “Hockey, the Greatest Game in the Land”
Album: Score: A Hockey Musical
A musical rock song that celebrates the beauty of hockey. It’s a fun and upbeat tune that captures the excitement of the sport and shows how that excitement is contagious towards its spectators.
4. “Let’s Go” by Trick Daddy feat. Lil Jon & Twista
Album: Trick Daddy feat. Lil Jon & Twista
A rock song about the excitement of attending a hockey game. It’s a high-energy tune that will get you pumped up for the game.
3. “The Last Saskatchewan Pirate” by The Arrogant Worms (1995)
Album: The Arrogant Worms
A humorous folk song about a hockey-loving pirate. It’s a fun and silly tune that will make you laugh.
2. “Gloria” by Laura Branigan (1982)
Style: Classic Pop
A classic pop song that has become synonymous with the St. Louis Blues. It’s a high-energy tune that captures the thrill of victory and the excitement of celebrating with fellow fans.
1. “Chelsea Dagger” by The Fratellis (2006)
Album: Costello Music (2006)
A rock song that has become the anthem of the Chicago Blackhawks. It’s a fast-paced and catchy tune that captures the energy and excitement of the game.
Personally, these songs have become part of the culture and history of hockey. They bring back memories of exciting games, cheering with fellow fans, and the thrill of victory.